Although the hacking scandal was the catalyst for the closure of the News of the World, it was far from the only reason. Here are 10 other factors that probably played a part in the News Corporation decision to the stop the presses.
1. They had been planning a 7 day a week tabloid anyway and The Sun is a more powerful brand than The News of The World. A managing editor for the 7 day combined paper was already in place before the scandal broke.
2. To reduce claims about competition and help the BSkyB bid. Even just a week ago the most likely barrier to the bid for full control of BSkyB was one of media plurality. By ditching a huge circulation title they provided a counter to the claim that they controlled too much of the UK news media.
3. Money The title paid half a million in compensation and costs in the Max Moseley case. There have also been a series of out of court payments over hacking and other matters in recent months and there’s little doubt these were escalating. Perhaps there was a fear that the paper despite its circulation would make ever-increasing losses.
4. News Corporation is a global concern and its global reputation is more important than the fortunes of one British newspaper.
5. To deflect attention from the embattled Chief Executive on News International, Rebekah Brooks. It may have been a motive but it didn’t work.
6. Showing muscle. Murdoch is ruthless and wanted to seize the agenda and demonstrate that he was in control. It showed they were capable of changing the game.
7. It was no longer the UK’s biggest selling newspaper. It’s circulation had fallen below 3 million and for the first time in decades The Sun was on average outselling the NOTW.
8. To protect friends in high places Andy Coulson’s associations with convicted criminals was already on record. Further discussion would be uncomfortable for the prime minister and the Murdochs.
9. It’s over for newspapers. An exaggeration maybe but consolidation of UK newspapers was long overdue. Media experts have been predicting that titles will go for years. News Corporation is a bigger company.
10. They know there were far worse transgressions and the brand was toxic. Now we know that too.